How to Get Rid of Worms In Cats for Their Healthy and Happy Living
The 21st century often talks about the connection a human have with their pets. Humans and pets have an inseparable bond, which is difficult to understand and difficult to explain in words. Dogs and cats are the most popular category of animals to be adopted as a pet.
Let’s talk about cats. Cats love attention. They are aggressive and playful, aloof and independent, full of curiosity but full of mischief. Cats are just like humans. They are to be bred like children, groomed like adults and they are to be taken care of like old souls.
Worms are impossible to prevent. Basically there are two types of worms found in cats and dogs. Roundworms that are found in the intestines of the cats. These parasites lay eggs in the faces, and are then eaten by other cats. They are even transferred by the mother’s milk, especially found in kittens.
Then there are tapeworms that are passed in the feces. These are long, flat and segmented parasites that resemble grains of rice. The hair around the anus, cat’s bed witnesses these parasites. These are passed on through fleas, especially immature fleas. At the time of grooming, these cats might swallow the eggs or the immature fleas, in turn getting infected with tapeworms. Tapeworms are mostly found in small rodents or mice
1. Why Cats Get Infected With Worms?
- Cats often seem to get infected by worms. There are many reasons why a cat often gets infected with worms. But one of the most common reasons is the eating of the feces of infected felines. Cat by nature is a predator. So when it comes out of the house, it often indulges in its natural form and gets contaminated with the infected was tages.
- Apart from this, sometime infected mother cat also passes on worms to its kittens. The cats which stay out door and hunt and eat often seem to get infected with worms than other which stay at home. Most often, stray cats seem to get infected with worms very easily, as they eat everything unhealthy.
2. Types of Worms With Which Cats Often Get Infected:
Cat can be infected with different types of worms. Worms are generally an intestinal parasite. Some very common types of worms which are often found in cats are:
Tapeworm: tapeworm is a kind of worm which size may range from 4-28 inches. It is often found in cats which causes vomiting or weight loss.
Hookworm: Hookworms are very dangerous for kitten and often found in dogs and cats. These are very dangerous as they survive on animal’s blood. It may lead to the death of the kitten. Hookworm may pass from one to another either through ingestion or through physical contact. It may infect human being also.
Roundworms: These are also very common in cats. Its size may range from 3-4 inches. These also may pass from one to another either through ingestion or from mother to kitten.
Stomach worm: This is not common type of worm. A cat gets infected with stomach worm after eating any vomit of infected animal. The primary sources of these worms are crickets, beetles and cockroaches etc.
Wolf worm: Wolf worms are rarely seen in cat. It generally causes by botfly, when it lays eggs on any wound on cat’s body. It may cause heavy breathing, lethargy in them.
3. Wolf Worms: The Deadly Parasites
- Worms, fleas and mites are parasites that do not cause much harm. Here comes, wolf worms in the picture. These parasites burrow into the skin of these animals and feed on the wounded tissue and cause infection.
- Wolf worms are the kind of parasites that lay eggs in an open wound. Once these eggs hatch, the parasites are passed onto larvae and then feeds on the wounded tissue, releasing deadly toxins as a result.
4. Wolf Worms and How to Treat Wolf Worms?
Wolf worms are considered as deadly parasites and should be taken special care of. The vet is an obvious solution but how to actually treat wolf worms when a vet is not available in a short span of time.
Wolf worms are to be taken special care of and should always be treated by a vet, but if a vet is not available in a short span of time, following steps can be applied to effectively reduce the effect of wolf worms:
Take a clean cloth and soak it in warm water and compress it.
Then place it on the wounded area for 5-10 minutes. If the wounded area cannot be found, look out for a lump in the skin.
After that, the worm is to be plucked out using tweezers, as soon as it comes to the surface
Wolf worms are tan in color and are half an inch long. They are slated and long and have a brown spot on one end.
Further, the infected area is to be cleaned using 1 part of alcohol and 2 parts of water. In the end anti-bacterial ointment is to be applied on the wounded area.
This process is to be repeated twice daily, until and unless the pet is taken to a vet.
When a cat is infected with wolf worms they may show signs of heavy breathing, lethargy, lumps and holes in their skin, which are to be treated immediately.
5. Worms and Its Types
Worms are the kinds of parasites that are impossible to treat. ‘Prevention is better than cure,' this phase fits in the description perfectly. The major question to be answered here is that how one should get rid of worms? A perfect treatment is not possible. However, oral worming products might play their role effectively, but the prolonged action of oral products is not guaranteed.
Kittens have to be treated carefully using creams and syrups readily available at pet stores or a vet. Kittens have to be treated twice or thrice for two to three months.
6. Symptoms of Worm Infected Cats:
Symptoms of worm infection on cat depend on the type of worm with which it gets infected. However some common symptoms are:
- Weight loss
- Stool with blood
- Big swollen belly etc
7. Worms and Their Treatments
In order to make your cat worm free, there are various worming products present in the market. People often question as to how to get rid of worms in cats using such worming products and to what extent such products will effectively treat the worms, keeping these parasites far off from their cats and dogs.
These products are in reach of the public in the form of pastes, granules, injections, liquids or on spot treatments. Following chemical elements are often found in such products:
8. How To Get Rid of Worms In Cats:
Cats are often found as infected with worms. Since they are predator by nature so they tend to go outside in order to hunt and eat uncooked, raw meat, which in turn may cause worm infection.
So, once your cat is detected as worm infected and starts showing the symptoms stated above, one should start take all the precautions so that it cannot be passed on to the human body. There are some natural ways to get rid of worms in cat. One may adopt these ways in order to get rid of worms in cat.
9. How To Get Rid of Worms In Cat Naturally:
There are some homemade natural medicines, which may help in getting rid of worms in cats. These include:
- Consumption of raw pumpkin seeds: Raw pumpkin seeds may help in getting rid of worms in cat. Since cat won’t eat pumpkin seeds, so you have to make a fine powder out of these and then have to mix it with cat’s food. Adding one tea spoon of pumpkin seeds powder with cat’s food per day helps in getting rid of worms in cat.
- Keeping your home clean: By keeping your home clean as much as you can, may also help in getting rid of any worm eggs in the house. In this regard, vacuum cleaner will be of great help.
- By using garlic powder: Garlic has many anti bacterial qualities and hence if a cat eats garlic, it will be of great help in killing many intestinal worms present in the intestine of a cat. Though garlic is sensitive for cats but it is not toxic and hence only garlic powder can be given to the cat by adding a little amount with the cat’s food.
- With the help of parsley or coriander water: parsley contains a large amount of nutrients which is useful in de worming a cat. By adding half teaspoon of parsley water with cat’s food or drinking water may help in getting rid of worms in cat.
- By consuming turmeric: Turmeric too has many medicinal values. By mixing 1/16th teaspoon of turmeric powder with cat’s wet food help in de-worming of cat.
- Carrot: By adding one or two teaspoon of ground carrot to the cat’s food helps in getting rid of worm in cat.
- By using diatomaceous earth: It is a kind of powder, looks like baking powder, which can be given to cat in order to get rid of worms. Only a half teaspoon of diatomaceous earth per day helps in preventing worm production in kitten intestine. It even kills the blood borne worms too.
- Neem oil shampoo is another natural way to keep a cat or kitten worm free. Neem has many medicinal values which kills and prevents reproduction of worm. So bathing the animal with neem based shampoo or soap is helpful in getting rid of worms in cat.
Since cats get infected with worms and there is no such permanent treatment for it so one can adopt theses natural ways to get rid of worms in cat. Once you detect the symptoms of infection you can start these treatments at home. Apart from these a visit to a vet is also very necessary to keep your kitten healthy and worm free.
Now a day, many medications are available in the market for worming. But before take any measure one should take advice from the vet as it is very difficult for us to recognize the type of worm, the cat is infected with. Hence it is better to take your kitten to a vet and take the preventive measures accordingly.
Apart from these, one should take proper care of the kitten by replacing the litter box of the cat. Litter box should be cleaned thoroughly. Moreover one should use flea control medication at home in order to get rid of it. Now a day, there are many flea control medications available in the market. So keeping house as well as the bedding of the cat clean and flea free is very important to get rid of worm in cat.
And the most important thing is to limit the cat’s outdoor visit so that it cannot come in touch with any raw meat of mice, birds, insects etc. As these are the main sources of worm in cat.
10. Chemicals Used for Worm Treatment
Fenbendazole often used to treat gastrointestinal redworms and lungworms. This can be used on kittens for two weeks and on pregnant queens.
- Pyrantel used to treat redworms and praziquantel used for the tapeworms. These are readily available in the form of tablets in the market.
- Droncit injection is containing praziquantel, for the treatment of tapeworms.
- Droncit on the spot used for the on spot treatment of tapeworms.
- Pfizer often used to treat redworms, ear mites and fleas.
- Professor spot on used for the treatment of redworms, tapeworms, and hookworms.
11. Techniques Borrowed From the Grandma’s Recipes
Often heard about techniques from grandma’s kitchen. Natural therapies often prove out to be the best way for the treatment of parasites. There are several natural methods used to treat such parasites borrowed from our grandma’s books. In a world, where people are using chemical products more and more, after their continuous usage, looking at the consequences, the general public is getting inclined towards the use of the natural product to ease their pets of the worms and discomforts caused by the presence of worms in their body. Natural remedies are being used at par with the chemically approved techniques:
Garlic powder along with apple cider vinegar is a solution to shoo away these parasites. Garlic is an antiseptic and anti-bacterial ingredient.
Consumption of raw pumpkin seeds kills the larvae and adult parasites. Pumpkin seeds are high in anti-parasitic properties and keep the return of parasites at bay.
Parsley water, considered high in vitamins and minerals, possessing diuretic properties. Thus helps in the proper functioning of the body. Keeping the system healthy. This further helps in the elimination of toxins, having a high level of antioxidants.
Fresh papaya takes care of the digestive system, comprising of vitamins and minerals. They help in the elimination of parasites using the digestive tract.
Grapefruit seed extract, commonly known for its fungal and bacterial properties. It’s parasitical in nature, easing away the infections from parasites.
Turmeric, the age old ingredient, used for every other injury. This one ingredient is not only used by humans, but cats and dogs can benefit from it as well. Turmeric is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, easing the discomfort so caused by the parasites.
Consumption of onion juice is an option to ease the discomfort caused by the parasites. Onions are considered a good source of sulfur and are known for their anti-parasitic properties.
Extra virgin coconut oil is said to ease the discomfort caused by these worms because of its fat content.
Pineapple, a yum fruit liked by everybody is popularly known for its digestive enzyme bromelain. The parasites are flushed using the digestive tract.
Almonds, dry fruits that are a natural source of comforting intestinal irritation. It even helps in the reduction of parasitic growth, so that the parasites do not occur frequently.
Aloe Vera juice, used by everybody and one of the most trusted ingredients of the old age homes. Aloe Vera juice is said to contain elements that aid digestion, flushing out bacteria using the digestive tract and through the feces.
12. Prevention is Better Than Cure.
The above phrases completely fit in the carved picture of the presence of worms on the skin of our pets. Whenever there is a situation of the presence of worms, people are in a tiff as to how to control such parasites. What is to be done to get rid of worms, these are the kinds of questions that run through their heads. Parasites cannot be controlled. Proper care and precaution are to be taken to keep parasites at bay. To prevent parasites in cats, these below-mentioned steps are to be followed:
Hygiene is one aspect that is too be touched upon very carefully. Hygiene is one way that defines the healthy way of living.
Cleaning the home is a necessity when surrounded by pets. Cleanliness is one step to prevent cats from falling prey to these parasites.
The outside access to the cats kept as pets is to be restricted for their healthy living.
If the food is given to the cat in the outside premises of the house that needs to be removed after the cat is done eating. These will prevent the breeding of red worms and tapeworms.
The house of the owner is to be taken special care off and should be kept flee free along with the maintenance of good hygiene.
13. Garlic: Magical Ingredient to Cure Worms and Get Rid of Them
Natural remedies have always been the go-to solution for human beings. The age old recipes describing the ways and methods to cure the sickening pain, have always been a huge success. Garlic is one ingredient to swear on when it comes to getting rid of worms naturally.
People are often skeptical about the usage of natural remedies and especially garlic for such treatment. Garlic is one ingredient that proves its stand and firmly denotes its ground. Crushed garlic should be mixed with the cat food or the dog food so that the worms can be treated using the digestive tract, through the feces.
Garlic, a normal ingredient found in every household, helps to boost the immunity system, in turn, reducing the chances of recurring infections. It increases the immunity levels and is considered anti-bacterial and antiseptic.
Garlic, when used with apple cider vinegar, proves out to be an amazing solution for the cure of parasites.
Yes, Garlic has many medicinal values. It is very useful for both human being as well as cat. But whether it is safe for cat or not is a debatable topic. However many pet owner give their kitten garlic in order to get rid of worms from their intestine. But garlic is not safe for cat.
Cats are found to be sensitive to garlic. Excess amount of garlic may cause blood problem in cat. So it should not be given in regular bases and in high amount. Occasional adding of garlic in a powder form with the cat’s food may not be harmful for the cat and hence can be given in order to get rid of worm.
14. Cats and Dogs: Similar Solution to Get Rid of Worms
Cats and dogs are often termed as similar creatures. Both are loving pets, mischievous at times and a great companion in times of need. Cats have always been scared of dogs. Though these creatures are anti each other, yet they possess similar parasitic elements, giving rise to tapeworms and red worms.
Much of the similar can be seen among these creatures, but what stuns people is the exact type of worms found in cats and dogs. What are the various methods to get rid of worms in cats and dogs, is the biggest question asked by people, since these creatures are commonly pitted in a household?
Various injections, granules, ointments, liquids and on spot treatments are available in the market for the treatment of such parasites.
Garlic, onion, almond, black walnuts, etc. have always ingredients known to cure the parasitic infections in such creatures.
In a crux, it must be noted that cats are furry creatures, infected by parasites which can be prevented but cannot be shooed away completely. Parasites are to be kept at bay in order to provide our cat’s utmost comfort and ease.
Parasites can be of various types such as red worms, tapeworms, mites, ear mites etc. It should be strongly seen that appropriate treatment is done, for different types of worms so that no further side effects are seen.
Wolf worms are considered as the deadliest type of parasites, and if no proper care is taken of these parasites, they can prove to be fatal to the health of your pets. A loving pet owner always knows the ways and means to ease the discomfort of its pet and is aware about the techniques and chemical elements used to get rid of worms in their pets.
Fleas and mites are most common type of parasites found in every household and it’s the utmost responsibility of the pet owner to keep their house clean to keep such parasites at bay. A loving relationship develops when, there is effective care involved.